Awareness

Nov. 29th, 2004 11:11 pm
deawrites: (Alexander and Hephaistion)
[personal profile] deawrites
Title: Awareness
Author: [livejournal.com profile] dea_liberty
Pairing: Alexander/Hephaistion, Alexander/Roxane
Rating: PG
A/N: CONTAINS SPOILERS. I've finally caved. My first, in what's likely to be many, Alexander ficlet. Set post-movie. Addressed to Roxane.

You never really liked him from the start, from the moment you laid eyes on him, standing at Alexander's side, eyes soft, laughing and joking with the man you intended to claim.



You never asked for Hephaistion's death. But you can't say you mourned him either.

You never really liked him from the start, from the moment you laid eyes on him, standing at Alexander's side, eyes soft, laughing and joking with the man you intended to claim.

That's not surprising, you're told, because all who love Alexander hate Hephaistion for the place he holds in Alexander's heart, for the way he knows Alexander like no other, for the part of Alexander that he - and only he - can bring out.

His mother despised Hephaistion, condemned Alexander's affections for him, jealous of the love Alexander bestowed upon the nobleman's son. The love of a mother, she believed, should have been the strongest.

And yet, she could not doubt the strength of Hephaistion's love for her Alexander.

The other soldiers and officers disliked Hephaistion for the favour Alexander granted him. No, Alexander was never unfair in judgement because Hephaistion had never had to be judged, but for the way Alexander listened to the other man, the knowledge that Alexander would give him the world if he were only to ask. But Hephaistion never asked - for anything - except the Prince's, then King's, affections, but then again, he hadn't asked for that either; you're told he never even knew his worth. In his place, the other officers would have searched for power, used Alexander, manipulated him to get what they wanted. But Hephaistion didn't. He never used the power the others so desperately wanted. The only power he enjoyed over Alexander was the power to bring out that part of Alexander no one ever knew.

Not even you.

You hated Hephaistion most, resented him, when you'd caught sight of them together - Alexander and Hephaistion - embracing one another, tears in both eyes on your wedding night. You hated him then because, even though you wouldn't realise until later, you knew that Hephaistion had a part of Alexander you would never be able to lay claim to. And you were never really one for sharing.

You'd questioned Alexander then, asked if he loved Hephaistion, and he'd simply answered "he is Hephaistion" as if it explained everything.

You never asked again.

Because, you suppose now, it did answer everything.

Alexander had told you then, and reminded you time and time again, whenever angry jealousy reared itself in your eyes, that his life was yours now. But you'd never really believe him. Yes, he'd given you his body, his mind - and he'd have liked to think he'd given you everything.

But you know.

He never gave you his heart - he couldn't if he tried - because a heart cannot be given away twice, and a heart cannot have two owners.

Until his dying day, Alexander's heart would beat for Hephaistion alone.

And you resent him for that - you resent them both.

You could have lived with seeing Hephaistion's shadow in Alexander's eyes; you could have lived with feeling Hephaistion's marks on Alexander's body; you could have lived with Hephaistion's memories living in Alexander.

You could have. But you didn't. You never had the chance.

Because Alexander kept his vow. And he never touched you again.

You never wished for Hephaistion's death because his death cost you Alexander.

And you mourn Alexander.

Date: 2004-11-29 04:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vampirespider.livejournal.com
This was beautiful. Simply awesome.

Date: 2004-12-02 10:33 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vampirespider.livejournal.com
Hey! Mads Mikkelsen! (one day I'm going to get that he's fandom now. Eek)

Date: 2004-12-02 10:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
*laughs* Yes, he's gorgeous :D And such a darling in King Arthur :P

Date: 2004-12-02 06:24 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vampirespider.livejournal.com
He is rather. Aw, I remember when all he was known as was the ugly skinhead in Pusher. Heh,

Date: 2004-11-29 06:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] timbermeshivers.livejournal.com
Oh I do love other points of views!

I hated her in the movie but I did enjoy this story. Please write more.

Date: 2004-11-30 10:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thank you...and I probably will :)

Perfection!

Date: 2004-11-29 08:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julia-aka-jj.livejournal.com
He never gave you his heart - he couldn't if he tried - because a heart cannot be given away twice, and a heart cannot have two owners.

Absolutely stunning. You have this poetic way with words that makes me melt into a puddle of goo. It is so simple, yet the perceptions of Hephaistion's undying devotion so incredibly deep. Simply, and inexplicably beautiful. Hephaistion was so much to Alexander, and you capture this extremity impeccably. I usually don't care for second person POV... but this was the exception of all exceptions. You are my new hero! Keep it up!

Re: Perfection!

Date: 2004-11-30 10:50 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
*blushes* Wow. That made me feel all tingly inside :P Thanks so much for the kind words :D

Date: 2004-11-29 08:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] limmenel.livejournal.com
Oh, marvelous. Beautiful, and sad. <3.

Date: 2004-11-30 10:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thanks very much :)

Date: 2004-11-29 09:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] calvincakes.livejournal.com
Holy shit, Dea, you did this ♥ ♥
I will name my first born after you, ok?

I really liked this <3


*loves you like whoa*

Date: 2004-11-30 10:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
*laughs* Yes, I did it. I caved :P I couldn't work until it was written so...here we are! :)

*loves you back like WOAH*

Date: 2004-11-29 09:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] meninaiscrazy.livejournal.com
Noo ... not supposed to sympathize. LOL. Very good. Makes you feel sorry for her. ^___^

Date: 2004-11-30 10:54 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
*laughs* I'm glad. Actually, I'm not a Roxane fan...but my brain worked out this way. I seem to have a thing for the "wife" to my OTP...*thinks KA's Guinevere*

Thank you :)

Date: 2004-11-29 11:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] qaddafi.livejournal.com
Very nice! Roxane tends to take a lot of harshness from fans, and it's nice to see better pictures of her. After all, being Alexander' wife couldn't have been easy. I'm looking forward to reading more stories from you.

Date: 2004-11-30 10:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thank you, and I hope I can produce others that won't disappoint :)

Date: 2004-11-30 03:12 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wagacca.livejournal.com
WOW. Of course, this doesn't help limit my burgeoning crush on Hephaestion!

Date: 2004-11-30 10:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
*laughs* No, it didn't help mine much either :)

Date: 2004-11-30 03:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sasha-b.livejournal.com
I was counting the hours until you did an Alexander fic. :p

But seriously, this was beautiful. And I love the pov you used. Well done doll. :D

Date: 2004-11-30 10:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Well, I'll bet you didn't get far in the counting! And *pouts* You know me too well, love! :P

And thank you, sweetie, I'm glad you liked it.

Date: 2004-11-30 01:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] paratus.livejournal.com
Thank you for this, I had tears in my eyes when I read it. So beautiful and sad. I read one Alexander fic yesterday and now this, both were sad and I don't think anything suits for this pairing so well. It would be weird to read a fic where they're laughing and everything's happy, I love how beautiful and bittersweet their relationship was.

Date: 2004-11-30 02:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thank you very much. I'm sure they had their happy moments in their youth, but it could not have been easy to be who they were and in love.

Thanks for reviewing.
(deleted comment)

Date: 2004-12-01 09:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thanks very much.

Date: 2004-12-01 05:13 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mgunby.livejournal.com
wow. short, but powerful. captures the relationships very well.

Date: 2004-12-01 09:54 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
Thank you.

Date: 2004-12-01 06:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aphroditesflesh.livejournal.com
He never gave you his heart - he couldn't if he tried - because a heart cannot be given away twice, and a heart cannot have two owners.

oh how perfect that was. and that one line just get their relationship so well. but oh this was amazing. you really have captured the emotions of all the characters so well. i hope you'll write more of them =)

Date: 2004-12-02 10:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dea-liberty.livejournal.com
i hope you'll write more of them =)

I probably will, and it's one of the greatest compliments a writer can get :)

Thanks very much.

January 2015

S M T W T F S
     123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 24th, 2026 08:52 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios